Saturday 26 October 2013

Pumpkin Carving Fun!

Hello, it's half term here in the UK! It means little old lazy me gets a week away from school. This half term is the Half term of Halloween and what do we do at Halloween? Go trick or treating.. get fat on sweeties.. have parties and best of all.. Pumpkin Carving!  



Every year I tend to go for the bog standard face, 2 triangles for eyes, a triangle for a nose and mouth full of goofy teeth, well actually, quite like this!


But this year, I decided to be a bit inventive and unleash my creativity on a poor unsuspecting pumpkin, it went surprising well! I went for a spooky dead tree... mwahahaha!


Overall I am very pleased, I even managed to make a nice pumpkin pie and some lovely roasted and spiced pumpkin seeds, mmm, delicious! I had great fun doing it and am definitely going to purchase a couple more pumpkins to do some more crazy designs! Everybody loves to carve pumpkins, but here are a few tips I found very helpful which I am now passing on to you!

1. When cutting your lid, cut it at an angle inwards, this way, it will prevent your lid from falling through.
2. To prevent pumpkin hands, cut your regular lid shape, then instead of joining up the circle, cut a rectangle going down about 4 inches and about 2 inches across, then join up to your circle. This way its easier to reach inside and spoon out the guts out and you still have a perfectly fitting lid.

3. Draw your design on first with a dry wipe marker to plan your design out and make it easier to cut.

4. If you cant be bothered to carve, why not, hammer a metal cookie cutter into the pumpkin to easily make the shape and then just pop it out! Simple designs with minimal effort! 

So, I hope y'all have fun carving and making some creepy designs and I hope my tips help a bit! If you do make one I'd love to see, leave an image URL in the comments below and remember, be safe with fire kids! 

What are your plans for Halloween? I'd love to see your pumpkins too!

Bye bye for now xxx 


No comments:

Post a Comment